Wednesday, March 2, 2011

conversations with five year olds

The scene: Table covered with bottles of paint, paintbrushes, and paper.

Kid: What are you doing?

Me (clearly stirring paint): Mixing the paint so you can start on your picture of Little Blue and Little Yellow.

Kid: Why is it taking so long?

Me: Well, the paint in your picture is sort of yellowish green, but this green is too blue. I have to make it match.

As I continue to stir a small drop of paint splashes from the container onto my finger.

Kid (highly concerned): There's PAINT on your finger.

Me: I know. It's ok. I'll clean it off when I'm done, but thanks for letting me know.

Kid continues watching my hand very intently as though it might explode.

Kid (after obvious consideration): Well, don't lick it, ok?

I stop stirring and look to see if he's actually serious and determine that he does, in fact, think there is a chance I might lick tempera paint off my finger.

Me (quite seriously): Ok. I definitely won't.

Kid smiles, obviously relieved, and walks away.


Just another day in kindergarten...


1 comment: