Sunday, July 13, 2008

my love affair with cupcakes

Although our actual anniversary is Wednesday, my husband and I celebrated yesterday, and because he is the best husband EVER, he got me a fabulous gift. What you may ask? Jewelry? Flowers? Something ridiculously expensive and totally frivolous? Nope. None of the above. He bought me a dozen cupcakes. I was so thrilled when I opened the box that I collapsed on the sofa in our hotel room in a state of sheer bliss.

These weren't just any cupcakes. They were cupcakes from one of the best bakeries in Dallas. Cupcakes in three flavors, each with different icing and sprinkles. Fattening balls of pure sugar with no dietary value... my dream come true! I must have found my Prince Charming :-)

But on a more serious note, our third anniversary was definitely the best so far. We earned it, for sure (maybe I'll post a little about that later this week), but for now I'm just glad to revel in the fun we had this weekend. We spent the afternoon exploring the Bishop Arts District before dinner at Hibiscus (amazing!) and spending the night downtown at the Adolphus (and then waking up at the crack of dawn to serve at OYM). It was the perfect way to celebrate how far we've come and how much we've shared in our life together.

It's a little hard to believe that we've been married for three years, but at the same time it's hard to remember what it was like before I was married. I so look forward to coming home to my husband and my puppy that I cannot fathom how utterly miserable life must have been before. Ok, so that's a bit of an exaggeration, but as I sit here tonight with Maggie snuggled up at my feet having just finished cooking dinner with my husband, I'm so thankful for my own little family... the safe, warm, loving home I always dreamed of. Though we've definitely had our rough patches, I wouldn't trade this weekend for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment